Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2014, 11:00:49 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  Other Skill Toys  |  baliyo « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: baliyo  (Read 3424 times)
yoyocon
Trade Count: (3)
The Nation

i play everything but 3a

baliyo
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:24:58 PM »

i can't get a balisong because it's "to dangerous" as my parents say. they wont even let me get a training blade. but i can get a baliyo so can i learn balisong tricks on a baliyo
kyo
Trade Count: (11)
The Nation

Re: baliyo
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »

I should note that they really don't feel the same.

The basic concepts you can learn, no doubt.. but don't expect to be able to pick up a balisong and immediately do everything you could on a baliyo. There will still be a bit of a learning curve.. but it is as close as you can get.

Kyle

You can argue with me if you want... but you'll still be wrong.
mrsnipes82
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:54:36 AM »

this is my problem,  but I play with other knves,  throwing knives, throwing stars, and fixed blade twirling.  So if your parents say that its knife play and its dangerous and you play with other kinds of knives,  Thank just say "you let me play with other knives and I'm not even asking you for a knife,  I'm asking you for a fake bladed knife with out any sharp edges"  Even though you may have to buy a training knife it's better than nothing.
mrneumann5000
Trade Count: (28)
The Nation

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 11:08:20 AM »

Yeah, any trainer blade is wayyy better than a baliyo for practice terms. If you start with a baliyo then you are screwing yourself over, its like switching for an eli dert to a pyro, you wont build up any finger muscles (yes im telling the truth) and it will be a pain to flip bigger knives. Start with the heaviest knife you can find (or trainer) because going from a heavy to a light knife is easy and fun, but starting with a light knife and expecting your fingers to work on a heavy one is killer. I would recommend a Bear & Sons trainer balisong, I hear Bear, but it will have to do untill you can convince your parents that you will be safe and mature with a real knife.

I'm pretty impressed by anyone who can look at a drawing and decide how well the yoyo will play.
yoyocon
The Nation

i play everything but 3a

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:33:09 PM »

my mom said if i get good with a baliyo i can get a training blade and if i get good enough with that i can get a balisong. so i'll take what i can get
mrneumann5000
The Nation

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »

Just remember, balis arent like yoyos in terms of buying, you cant but a cheap bali thats still good, its pretty much all or nothing. The cehapest "good" balisong is the typhoon from knifekits.com, anything cheaper than that (and a few more expensive) will fall apart on you.
yoyocon
The Nation

i play everything but 3a

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »

i planned on getting a benchmade 32 when i can get one and if i have the money
mrneumann5000
The Nation

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »

32 is a great knife, but not your best choice for flipping, its more of an EDC knife. I would recommend the bradley kimura 2, its cheaper and a much better flipper.
yoyocon
The Nation

i play everything but 3a

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »

what do you mean "EDC"
kizzyontay52
YYF
Trade Count: (50)
The Nation

SHUT UP. Go yoyo.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 07:08:35 PM »

Genuine employee of ZimZam yo-yo inc.

MY BLOG
mrneumann5000
The Nation

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »

lol, I am all for lmgtfy, but dont be a d-bag, hes a noob w/ knife terms. EDC is short for everyday carry, one that is built to last and to be used. The 32 morpho is a great EDC because of its size, weight, blade steel, sharpness, and pocket clip. Its much better for using than it is for flipping. The Kimura or the 42 are more for flipping, though that doesnt mean they cant be EDC'd; quite the opposite. I usually will EDC my kershaw leek or my ecos knives custom kiridashi.
ranen61
Homebrew Affiliate.
Trade Count: (12)
The Nation

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »

i always wanted a leek. i ended up njust getting a kershaw storm but its a great blade aswell. i dont really carry that anymore because my leatherman wave has a large enough blade on it that i dont need a folding knife. plus im in canada so the blade on its own could get confiscated but they cannt confiscate a multi tool because its like taking a screw driver because its too pointy

I would shred myself to pieces with those nipples.
mrneumann5000
The Nation

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:34 PM »

You should take a look at ecosknives.com, they make these custom kiridashis, which are a traditional japanese carpenters knife, and they are the cheapest (durable) custom knives you will ever find. I got mine for $40 like new, with a kydex sheath.
ranen61
Homebrew Affiliate.
The Nation

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 03:48:17 PM »

i spend all my money on yoyos now lol. my edc isnt a priority for me right now because i have a few zippos already 2 of which i keep with me. i always have a hand of paracord in my school bag just for a what if type of thing. and my wave is good for everything.
mrneumann5000
The Nation

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 05:24:14 PM »

I ehard that the wave is loose enough to flip like a balisong, is that true?
ranen61
Homebrew Affiliate.
The Nation

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »

m,ine is tight as hell and ive tried playing around and flipping it although ive never tried a balisong. it is also pretty heavy. if you try running with it in shorts with an elastic wasteband they will most likely fall down lol. it kinda pisses me off that balisongs are illegal in canada. maybe i can get a trainer for cheap
mrneumann5000
The Nation

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »

Try a bear & sons trainer, thru are cheap and kinda durable. Try bladeplay.com
ranen61
Homebrew Affiliate.
The Nation

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 06:21:27 PM »

do they ship to canada??

and are trainers even legal in canada?? i guess ill hae to find that out too

so what about this one?

its the ronin gear one. i think it looks cooler than the bear one and its half the price
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:27:05 PM by ranen61 » Logged
mrneumann5000
The Nation

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »

Trainers are definately legal in Canada, and Im pretty sure they will ship there, but if not and/or if you want a real knife, go to knifezilla. Their prices and customer service are crappy, but they will ship anywhere in North America, no questions asked.
yoyocon
The Nation

i play everything but 3a

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 04:52:51 PM »

im still getting a baliyo but just for fun. but i did make a deal with my parents that if i get all As on my 4th quarter report card i can get a balisong. i wanted a benchmade 42 but since those are discontinued i was planning on a kimura 2 because i heard its good and like the bm 42. what do you think of the knife
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: